So here we are again, only this time on a Sunday. Joy.
Recent disk space issues on a production machine caused me some major issues:
pg_xlog (on a seperate physical disk) ran out of space due to what can only be described as a "blip" in the amount of data that was batch processed. Postgres panicked and gave up archiving. This is not normally an issue, however, it meant that I had to do some recovery work as the main data tables were destroyed.
After the recovery work was completed, a quick inspection of the DR machine, pg_standby had complained about file inconsistencies, and so I broke the replication link.
so this evening, both live and DR databases have been stopped, and I'm taking a base backup using scp.
Now I know there are several different ways to provide DR replication, but in this instance I'm using log shipping. Ok, so I should base backup once a week, however, the disk requirements for this are too great, and so here I am, doing it manually... Again...
No comments:
Post a Comment